"Everyday holds the possibility of a Miracle."

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fear vs. Faith

I have been spending a lot of time contemplating faith and what that looks like when being overwhelmed by fear.  Faith I am told is being certain in the face of uncertainty and processing hope when all evidence points against it.  That is a very difficult act to perform when there literally is no certainty and hope is a thing of the past.  Faith is believing with every ounce of you that God will act, will carry you, and can do the impossible.  We live this life, somehow lulled into a sense of belief that we are in charge of our destinies and I think we are, in that we make decisions every day in a world full of sin and daily we struggle against our own selfish desires.  The hand of God in our life is never fully known to us, and if he directs the world, then why not give in to the fear - give it all to God - since He is going to do with your life what He wills anyway and we have no control over it.  Or, is that faith - giving our life totally and completely over to him, since we are helpless sinful creatures and He is ultimately in control.  That really is the question - do we trust him with our futures?  We want to control and know what is coming ahead - especially if you are like me, you would like to plan a little bit.  Do we trust God enough, and have faith enough to lay it - all of it - open and broken at His feet and know with all of our being that He is our Father, loves us, and will make good on his promise of giving us a hope and a future.  Or, are we too afraid to let go and let God?  Do we really believe in the greatness of Him or is our God a "god" of convenience?  Right now, I don't know all of the answers to the tough deep theological question, and sometimes I don't even know the answers to the easy ones, but what I do know is this: God hears, He listens, He gives, and He loves.  He hears every fear that I bring him, He listens with a bleeding heart, He gives me what I need to get through each day in the face of my overwhelming emotions, and He loves me - so much that He willingly allowed His child to die for me.  I know that I did not willingly let Ethan pass into the arms of Heaven and if I could have done anything to stop it I would have, and so knowing that the son of God died so that I could live is enough right now to bring me through my overwhelming fear in faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment